For the pastry:
375g plain gluten free flour, sifted
250g butter, cut into cubes
125g caster sugar
2-4 tbsp water
For the filling:
200g caster sugar
Juice and zest of 3 blood oranges
2 free range eggs, plus 6 yolks
200g butter, cubed
For the topping:
3 blood oranges, peeled and sliced into rounds
60g pomegranate seeds
1 tbsp demerara sugar
You will need:
A 23cm tart tin
- To make the pastry, rub the flour and butter together until it looks like fine breadcrumbs. Mix in the caster sugar and then, using your hand, mix in the egg and enough of the water to ensure that the mixture comes together as a dough.
- Wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured sheet of baking parchment so that the pastry is around 1 inch bigger than your tin. Using the rolling pin and the parchment carefully lift the pastry and drape it over the tin. Press it into the tin and patch up any holes or gaps. Trim the excess pastry. (The pastry is very delicate so don’t worry about having to patch it up – once you’ve filled the tart no one will know!).
- Bake for 20 minutes until golden and baked through. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin whilst you make the filling.
- Whisk the sugar, orange juice and zest, eggs and egg yolks together in a bowl until well combined. (The leftover egg whites can be frozen and used later for meringues or macarons).
- Add the butter and set over a pan of simmering water. (Do not let the base of the bowl touch the water.)
- Cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring regularly, until the butter has melted and the mixture has thickened.
- Pour the mixture into the cooled pastry case and set aside to cool. Once the filling has cooled put the tart in the fridge until it has set.
- Arrange the orange slices and pomegranate seeds on the cooled tart and sprinkle over the demerara sugar.
- Using a cooks’ blowtorch (or, if you don’t have one, a hot grill), heat the sugar until caramelised.
- Cut yourself a large slice and enjoy!